ENSEMBLE DA CAPO PROJECT- The process

 

I am a composer, manager, social media manager and conductor for the wind ensemble Ensemble Da Capo.

MANAGER ROLE:

- Recruitment

- Uploading new information to our members for communication 

- Organising our Competition Competition and our conducting workshop 

SOCIAL MEDIA ROLE:

- Organising our Facebook, Instagram and Email 

- Taking weekly pictures and uploading them onto social media regularly 

-Dealing with online enquiries 

Having the social media role for this ensemble and video editing role for this assessment tie hand in hand. I have had to organise all the promotion as well as take pictures/videos for our social media. Since the beginning of the semester, I have learnt a lot about how much regular posting makes a difference 

For this project, I was dealing with the video and editing side of things. The cameras I used for this project were:

- 2 go pros

- Canon 80D 18-55mm lense

- Canon 6D Nikkor 14-24 f2.8g lense

Here is the placement of those cameras


After re assessing, I wish I had the go pro facing the percussion at an angle where I can see everyone. It was in a great space for some pieces, but little did I know the percussionists moved instruments around the shop for different pieces. Having another 1 or 2 go pros at a different angle would have been more effective. 

Thanks to Ben Fan, he helped us and recorded the concert on his 6D. Unfortunately, due to the recording capacity on my canon 80D, it did not record anything after 30 minutes. 

The go pro's were a last minute choice and we are very lucky and fortunate to have used them.

I am very lucky I told the percussionists to turn the go pros on and record them right before the concert. Because Jenny and I were running around sorting out a lot of things for that night, turning on the go pro's slipped my mind.

The process of editing was very interesting. I wish I had listened to James and used premier rush instead of iMovie. iMovie was very limiting and time consuming with however many videos I can overlap with each other to make it easier to edit. However, I got it finished and it worked out fine. Here is a little clip of what the editing process looked like.


One thing I learnt is that it is hard to record a concert! There needs to be at least 4 people on video and audio duties to achieve the best outcome. 

It is a very collaborative and team-work based project between the audio and video editors. I din't realise how much I needed the audio completed before I started editing.

Comments