Week 12- Canvas for teachers

 In this lesson, we learnt about how to use canvas from a teachers perspective. 

I am very surprised with how canvas can be so simple yet so complicated at the same time. It is really fascinating to me. We had Brad come in to talk and give demonstrations on how he used canvas in his school. 

Brad went into on how to imbed the note flight application on canvas, so students can use it directly on canvas (where all their work lies). That is something I wouldn't even consider to do until Brad showed us. I think this is amazing if you know how to do this. It minimises the risk of students forgetting to send the file to the teacher or other circumstances that are similar. All the problems that teachers have students' work and submissions are now all minimised. This now allows more time for more student teacher feedback. That being said, even Brad's way of teaching his instrumental tutorials are genius. 

When Brad was teaching, he had different stations for the classroom and each of the bands swapped around. Click the link here to see the basic layout of how brad set up his classroom and resources he used.

Problems with students learning speeds, work ethic, submissions (and so forth) is all being dealt with by having a monthly gig that they need to prepare for. Having tutorial videos allows students to work at their own pace. If this was a teacher vs student's moment, a lot of people would not know what to do if they got stuck with something and the teacher already moved on. 

Having started prac at a high school, I see the value and reasoning in why Brad chooses a more technological approach with teaching music. More one-on-one time with students = more discussion on how to improve further. Brad's motto for music education is to make music at the speed of light. Making music with the help of canvas (or a similar site) makes so much sense. 

Once I get more comfortable with teaching, I would love to have something similar for my music students. The only problem is the coding side of it. I am not very good at coding and I don't know what any of it means. However, I will love to learn when the time comes 

Comments