Week 5- Turning a gig into a music video

 Click here to see my cool video editing skills! #proeditor 



In today's lesson, we had a look at some softwares that could be potential uses for video editing. Specifically, we used Abode's Premiere Rush. I have negative and positive thoughts about this program, and I am very much on the fence with it.

Firstly, what I noticed is that everyone had a very different experience with editing the videos. A lot of people found it mentally exhausting as they have never edited videos before. Interestingly, I found it good (lucky I have had plenty of experience with editing videos). I have used multiple softweares and I would say Premiere Rush is in my top 3. 

Firstly, the program is SO SLOW. My computer was really struggling to keep up with all the cool effects you can do with the videos. But to be fair, the effects were really well organised and very easy to access. With these types of programs, I would imagine it would take a while to figure out all the cool things to do with videos. To be completely honest, the video linked above is definitely not my best work, however, I can see with more practice, it can be great. 

The other thing is that it is a huge process with connecting the audio and video together. I think what the videographers should have done, is label the video "take 1" and so on. I got very confused with the amount of videos and which connected with what audio. So when I was trying to edit it, it was very confusing for me, and took way too much time then it should have.

However, I don't see why you can't do all of the same things with iMovie. I know James shredded iMovie to pieces saying not to use it, but I think iMovie is a lot better and quicker to make videos. For Mac users, it is free, and it does pretty much the same things! 

There is also another FREE program called DaVinci Resolve which is comparable for Mac AND pc and is also fantastic for editing videos. 

To be completely honest, I don't justify spending a lot of money for a program that is solely used for schools. If I were to edit videos outside of a school for movies, that is understandable (if I also get a computer that can handle the software). overall, I think Premiere Rush is a great software, just for certain circumstances. I rather use iMovie for this project. 

Comments