Week 9- MIDI AND SAMPLES

In today's class, we had a look at a lot of different technologies that can be used as MIDI to record into a DAW. 

There was one in particular that caught my attention, it was a MIDI controller in the shape of a guitar! here is a video of me playing around on it:  



It was pretty cool! I am not the best guitar player but this was very easy to play. I hooked it up onto my Ableton and picked some sounds to play. I thought it was pretty cool! I like how not matter what you played, it would fit into the scale that was chosen. This would be great for students year 7-12 to use this. The only issue I have with this, is that is is VERY expensive. In the classroom, things tend to break easily (especially with the year 7's). I would probably only let year 10's-12's use this. There are many other (and cheaper ways) of exploring MIDI without spending $400+ on a MIDI controller...at least for years 7-9. 

We also had a look at a drum MIDI controller connected to a drum practicing program (forgot the name). It was good, only thing is it lagged a lot. Some of the MIDI signals were not working on the drum set either, but that was out of my control. Again, this would be a great resource, but kids in year 7 I would imagine being silly and breaking the drum set.

There were many other things to talk about, but one more thing in particular was this app on the iPads. A producer made an app of all his samples and you could pick and choose which ones to use. They all worked so well together! Here is a video of Anton playing around with these different sounds:


Overall, I think this was a great lesson in exploring different MIDI controllers. Here is a picture of me concentrating to play this MIDI guitar. Enjoy. 







Comments