Week 7- Synthesisers + Julia= happiness

This week, we had a look at synths and their functions. I love producing music, and as an Ableton user, we learnt some really exciting things that I never knew existed.

Fristly, we played around with LittleBits synths in groups. We were given a worksheet on how to connect it all together. At first, I was very confused how this was a synth. All I perceived to be a synth was a keyboard with synth like sounds or a plugin. This took me by surprise as I have never seen a a synth in this form before. 

From playing around with it, I interpreted it as its own physical DAW. There were effects like delay, sequencer, oscillators and much more that you can play around with to change the sound. What I found particularly interesting was the sequencer. I love how you can manipulate the speed of the sound. It is very similar to manipulating samples on a DAW. 

Incorporating this in classrooms is something I would 100% do in the future. I didn't know much about how to use the LittleBits yet, but I am really interested to learn so I can get my students how to change sound. James was saying how getting students to understand how sound works, and how to manipulate it will better increase their understanding when analysing sound and music. 

As much as I do like LittleBits, it may take a bit of time to understand it to its full entirety. Like a lot of things, you have to learn how to troubleshoot it if things go wrong. The more effects you put on, the harder the sound may come through. 

Having a sheet of paper helped heaps, but having a tutorial video to watch would be a lot better to understand, INCLUSIVE of providing a sheet. 

We also experimented with an analog synth. I love how working with LittleBits and then taking the knowledge to the analogy synth was a very smart idea. I think students would be really interested to learn more and make music with it! 





Comments