Week 3- Am I now a bassist??

This week was very interesting. There were multiple parts to this class that made it so good. I really enjoyed it. 

There were different groups we put ourselves into. Audio, cameras (x2) and lighting. I was first put into the audio group and was familiar with a lot of the equipment, but not all. 

I learnt that the reason why we put the 2 stern microphones on top of each other is to eliminate phasing. So when editors are putting the videos and audio together, there isn't a difference in the sound waves taking longer to reach every different microphone. However, placing the mics in different areas to allow the waves to pic up from different directions, therefore when mixing, has different effects that mixers can play with. Because of the difference in space (and the vibrations taking a certain amount of time to reach different mics), the solution to this is one person clapping so when the editors go in, they can line up the clap with all the mics. 

I think this is super useful as it will make it a lot easier to edit. In terms of using this in schools, it is so important to know how all of these different elements work together. A lot of schools are now focusing towards an online presence (especially due to COVID-19). They are putting a lot more effort into videos talking about their school week. 

Even so, this would be so useful if you are recording a battle of the bands performance or even a school assembly. Having music students be a part of the background work, will give them a new appreciation on what goes on behind a gig. Or even perhaps give them a new hobby they are instructed in pursuing.  

Brad then wanted some performers, I put my hand up for bass. I don't even own a bass nor do I play it at all. Because I am not in a band in real life, I actually found a lot of learning working with other musicians in different ways. 

We all agreed in playing "hey-ya"by OutKast. The problem solving for finding a song to play was: 

1) Did the singer know how to sing it?

2) Are the chords easy to play

3) What type of feel did we want it to be? Any build ups? 

Because of my smart composer mind, I figured out how to play the most simple bass line of all time, but make it SWINGIN. 

The agreeing process was very interesting. Because we didn't have a lot of time, we had to agree with whatever anyone said while keeping it very simple. I realised that working with other musicians is actually so chilled. There were other band members who were stressing over playing. There was nothing to stress about!

Our keys player, James, was using a analog synth. he had to tune it which is normal for analog. But what we had to problem solve is when we weren't playing, how was the synth still making that hissing sound? we found out it was softly sustaining the note that was just played. We didn't actually work it out, but James mentioned it had something to do with the decompressors (I think). So for the mean time, James just turned the volume down on his end. 

However, James was plugged into my bass amp. It was fine, but it would have been better if he had his own amp. Especially for mixing sake. 

I also realised that as a band, we had to use our ear for a lot of the levels. Sometimes, someone was too loud or too soft. So we had to work with the audio crew to get our levels just right. 

One more trouble shooting thing that was mentioned were the placement of the amps and speakers. I realised the bass amp was right in front of me. Without fold backs, I would not be able to hear myself. So the audio crew and the band had to position the amps so that they were behind us. 

(Here is me being super groovy on the bass)

Comments